To publish is to make content available to the general public. While specific use of the term may vary among countries, it is usually applied to text, images, or other audio-visual content on any traditional medium, including paper (newspapers, magazines, catalogs, etc.). The word publication means the act of publishing, and also refers to any printed copies.
 Legal definition and copyright
“Publication” is a copyright on the work. One of the copyrights granted to the author of a work is the exclusive right to publish the script
In the United States, publication is defined as:
- the distribution of copies or phonorecords of a work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending. The offering to distribute copies or phonorecords to a group of persons for purposes of further distribution, public performance, or public display, constitutes publication. A public performance or display of a work does not of itself constitute publication.
- To perform or display a work “publicly” means –
- (1) to perform or display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered; or
- (2) to transmit or otherwise communicate a performance or display of the work to a place specified by clause (1) or to the public, by means of any device or process, whether the members of the public capable of receiving the performance or display receive it in the same place or in separate places and at the same time or at different times.
- —17 USC 101
Furthermore, the right to publish a work is an exclusive right of the copyright owner (17 USC 502, 17 USC 503).
The definition of “publication” as “distribution of copies to the general public with the consent of the author” is also supported by the 
 Biological classification
|This section does not references or sources. (October 2008)|
In taxon has to comply with some rules.
- It must be published in Latin.
- It must be published on paper.
- The publication must be generally available.
- The date of publication is the date the published material became generally available.
 See also
- German UrhG, §6, in German. URL last accessed 2007-05-29.
|Look up publication in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- RayMing Chang, Publication Does Not Really Mean Publication: The Need to Amend the Definition of Publication in the Copyright Act, 33 AM. INTELL. PROP. L. ASS’N Q.J. 225: This article analyzes the definition of publication in the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976 and finds strong support for the proposition that electronic dissemination (e.g., “Internet publishing”) of works does not result in publication under American copyright law. This article argues that the definition of publication needs to be amended to explicitly include electronic dissemination.
This article uses material from the Wikipedia article Publication, which is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0.